Wednesday, July 24, 2013

Is my break finally coming?



I haven’t been updating this blog as much as I should be, mostly because I was feeling pretty down, and more recently very very very busy. I’ve been running around like crazy for two weeks now trying to get articles done before my deadline and working like crazy for this PR internship, all the while the background work has kind of dried up for the time being, so I have no money coming in. It was starting to get to me.

But, because I am not the type of person that does anything half-heartedly, there was no question of me not working my absolute hardest for these internships (these are the job opportunities that I do have right now), pay or no pay; if I’m in something I’m in it and will put all of my effort into it…that’s just the way I am. I was worried though, because it felt like these internships were taking up so much of my time, time that I should have been diligently applying for PAID work. There is never a guarantee of a paid position upon the completion of an internship. More often than not you move on with one more thing to add to your resume and a good reference, or if you’re lucky things to add to your portfolio, but you are back to looking for that next thing. I actually do enjoy both of these internships though, so I can’t complain too much about them, but when you are worried about paying rent…it puts things into perspective…a very stressful perspective.

Yesterday, however, even though I felt like I was doing work way beyond the duties of an intern and that no one really cared or thought the same, I actually got feedback and was thanked for all of my hard work. My boss’s words: “I am going to make sure that you get an extra bonus at the end. You are doing so much and I really appreciate it. I will do my best to keep you happy because I love working with you. You are really good at this job.”

It felt so nice. I don’t need to receive praise or recognition to know the value of my work, but it definitely helps to make me feel like it’s not all for nothing and it’s not going unnoticed. I particularly appreciated this little boost because I was beginning to think that I needed to change my tactics. One of my best friends always likes to point out that the definition of insanity is to do the same thing over and over again and expect a different result. I was beginning to wonder if maybe this was me. Part of my problem, though, was that I wasn’t sure what else to try at this point…so I had to just keep doing what I have been doing and hope that the quality of my work would speak for itself. Now it seems it has.

PR is actually a good spot for me to be in right now for networking. Just from helping with being the Media Liaison for one event, I now have access to over 400 media contacts, most of which are magazines and newspapers. In an industry that is all about who you know and making the right connections, I would say that I could be on the right track.

Like I said in recent posts, I really do feel like something is about to change. I feel like maybe I’m about to get my break. All good things come to those who work their butt off and never give up. 


 

3 comments:

  1. Thats fantastic feedback Amanda! Why didn't you tell me about that? Thats awesome. Keep working hard! It comes eventually!
    PS where is the follow option so I can follow your blog?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad you got some positive feedback!! (And you seem to do a pretty good job updating. Blogging is tough sometimes! I'm pretty lousy at it...) Cheers, J.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm glad you got some positive feedback!! That's so exciting. Hopefully more exciting things to come SOON! I feel a little stalker-ish, following your blog... but it's fun to hear about what old friends are up to! Cheers, J.

    ReplyDelete