Thursday, October 3, 2013

Are We Eating Ourselves to Death?



I never thought that reading ELLE magazine would make me completely re-think my life. Or should I say my lifestyle or way of life? I should perhaps be a bit more specific. I got a bit behind in reading through my subscription, so I only just today took a look at the August issue. Within this issue is a fantastic article on GMO’s and allergies. The writer describes a period of 3 years of random symptoms that no doctors could explain, as all tests came back normal. She was plagued by a general feeling of being unwell and could not do anything about it. This piqued my interest because it describes me perfectly. Lately even perfect strangers are picking up on the fact that I’m a “sickly person.” That’s pretty sad. It is one of the most frustrating things to feel like a prisoner in your own body and that everything is out of your control. Like the author narrating this tale of ill-health, I suffer from digestive issues, random muscle pain, insomnia, headaches, low immune system, general lethargy, and the perpetual feeling of having a head cold. When I saw this same list of symptoms in the article, I was shocked.

 I’ve been passed around from doctor to doctor all looking repeatedly at my gall bladder, because I’ve had polyps for a while and all of my digestive symptoms seemed to point to that being the issue, but unfortunately for me, there is so much more going on than can be explained by this one problem area. I’ve even felt lately like there is too much wrong with me to even burden the doctors with, and although it is completely unfair to have to live a life feeling this way all the time, that perhaps this is just my personal hurdle to overcome. It’s also ridiculous to go to a doctor and just say “I feel sick…all the time….I can’t explain it,” and there are friends and loved ones that can attest to me breaking down in tears of frustration exclaiming “I just feel sick, I don’t know why, and I am so sick and tired of feeling sick and tired!” When I read this article by Caitlin Shetterly, I finally felt like I was not alone in this. Caitlin went through the same struggle for 3 years, going to even more doctors and homeopaths than I have, before seeing a high acclaimed allergist. Oddly enough, I was supposed to see an allergist this week but ended up having to work.

Anyway, to make a long story short, the allergist listened to Caitlin’s list of symptoms and then informed her that she had probably developed an allergy to genetically modified corn. What?!?! Although there has been no clinical proof of GMO proteins being allergens, many physicians and health-care researchers are starting to become sceptical.

I’ve been pretty openly against GMO’s for a while now, which anyone who knows me can attest to, but I haven’t (for some strange reason) attributed my current ill health to them. It isn’t a coincidence though, I will wager, that (as reported by the National Health Interview Survey) since 1999 the number of children with food allergies has jumped by 50% and skin allergies by 69%. Moreover, there has been an astronomical increase in autoimmune disorders such as type 1 diabetes, lupus, and CELIAC DISEASE, as well as allergies. Indeed the amount of gluten intolerance as of late is excessive, even if you take out those that are merely following the latest health craze. We are currently in what Marc Rothenberg, MD, PhD has described as an “allergy and autoimmune epidemic.” Indeed, all of my life growing up I never had allergies, but now come any change of season I am plagued by them. There also seems to be less and less that I can eat that doesn’t make me feel sick or give me pain.

GMO’s have been approved for sale in North America since the mid 1990’s with no clinical or human trials; to all intelligent people reading this, you should be coming to the conclusion that WE are the current human trial. Of course the industry professionals will say that there is no concrete proof or that there have been no long-term effects reported…but that’s because there hasn’t been a long enough timeframe in which to evaluate GMO’s effects on us. Any controversial trials that have popped up have been publically disputed, and what is worse and even scarier is that the reason no GMO proteins register on the international allergen database is because this research centre and database is hosted by the University of Nebraska-Lincoln which is not so coincidentally funded by the six major biotech companies: Monsanto, Syngenta, Dow, Dupont Pioneer, Bayer, and BASF. Oh yes, there is more, any research studies submitted to the government on GMO’s is funded by these big firms and they are able to cherry pick which studies they submit.  

Unfortunately too, we have reached a point of no return where we can’t just say “hell no to GMO’s” since today 88% of corn and 93% of soybeans are GMO’s. It is becoming close to impossible to find non-genetically modified corn, particularly because pollen and seeds from GMO fields travel over to natural fields through wind delivery and animal (particularly bird) dispersion. “What happens when we get to the point where absolutely no more natural crops exist” is the scary question that no one seems to be asking or want answered. If the food we eat is making us violently sick, though, what does the future hold for us? Why aren’t we looking into this further? Why aren’t we more concerned about what we put in our bodies? And why is it that no one seems to be afraid that we are eating our way to death? I applaud ELLE for putting this food for thought out there and I intend to keep feeding on it.  



No comments:

Post a Comment